Wednesday, October 3, 2007

It is all in God's hands now....

I have been wrestling with this for a long time.... My mother and I have a joint CC that I got when I was in college....it has worked as the "emergency" many times in our life....when DH's tires got slashed....I used it to stockpile the food I got at the grocery store this week, because we don't get paid until Friday and the sales ended yesterday...I got gas today because my tank was empty and we had no cash in the bank....I used it today to get some hopefully hot toys for Christmas... My rationale was that I would use the money from my grocery budget on Fri to pay my share....I told Mom about the toys and she was ok with it.... So tonight I logged online to check the balance to see what my charges added up to....it is more than I thought (the ol' spending more with credit when you do with cash really comes into play here I guess.. ), but Mom had said not to worry about paying it, but I said no, I will pay what I can... Soooo, when I log in I happen to see that she has 2 other accounts (all with Chase)....and the interest rate for each of the 3 accounts is 29.99%!!!! Her min payments are like $500 a month for all of the three cards put together!!!! And she has other cards, too! She has really no assets anymore....when my grandmother passed away she left a sizeable inheritance to my mom and her sister....it's all gone now, except maybe about $7k and the equity in this house....some of it went to us to bail us out of our financial holes that we didn't seem to learn from...some of it was lost in stocks due to some unscrupulous investment advice and my poor mother never understanding what her money was invested in.... So that is it......I am cutting up the card tonight.....it is all in God's hands now completely....I cannot contribute any further to my mother's financial downfall under the guise of "emergency" or "convenient" spending....she has been very generous to us, but at what cost??????? It's done....I just cut it up.....the "safety net" is gone..... And I feel a whole lot better about it.....

No comments: